Posted by: Kristin W | April 22, 2010

Nothing to Report

So, I haven’t updated the blog in a while, because I don’t really have anything to say.  I think I’m still processing all the changes and trying to figure out how to cope with them.  It looks like Ethiopia will definitely require two trips, beginning May 8.  Since I’m 99.9% sure that we won’t have a referral to file with court by then, that puts us in the two trips category.  We’re still trying to decide how to handle that.  I talked to our local social worker and she told me that the way they are considering doing the process.  We would go with a group of other adoptive parents and all meet the children as a group.  The kids wouldn’t be told which parents were theirs.  Then we would leave, and come back to get them a month or more later.  If that’s the plan, then it would definitely be better to take S and E on the second trip, as they are not so good at keeping secrets!  The two other options (both of which are less likely) are that I would stay over there between the two trips or that the whole family would go on one trip and we would take S and E to travel around Africa during the wait between trips.  If I stay, I could probably find a guest house for about $30 a night, which would end up being about the same price as a second round-trip ticket.  If we traveled around, it would definitely be more expensive, but I think it would be a fantastic experience for our kids.  And, I’d love to go to Kenya for a safari.  Down side there would be using so much of our leave from work and then not having as much with the kids when we return.  So, what to do?

Otherwise, it’s just “wait and see.”  People ask all the time, “how’s the adoption going?”  Seems such an odd question.  It’s not going anywhere.  There’s nothing going on.  Occasionally there is a sibling referral, so we know that someone ahead of us on the list just moved off and we moved up.  But with no way to know where we are on the list or when the next eligible sibling group will come into care, there just isn’t any way to tell.  The agency says based on our spot on the list, we are probably looking at late summer or early fall.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: